Reading Guide for Aphrodite’s Pen
- In the Introduction to Aphrodite’s Pen, Stella says it is important for older women to write erotica as a way to combat ageism. Do you agree or disagree with the author on this point? Did your opinion change as you read, and if so, how?
- The book combines writing activities, interviews with writers, and samples of their work. Did you learn skills from the activities that you want to incorporate into your writing practice?
- Did the interviews change your ideas about reading or writing erotica? Did you especially like certain interviews? If so, why?
- What stood out for you about the writing samples? Did they add to the chapter topics?
- Ladies’ Own Erotica (1996) was another book inspired by a writing group for older women in the San Francisco Bay Area. What role do you think location can play in erotic writing?
- How has your reading group changed as a result of the books you read and discuss? Has your reading group read any erotic novels? Have you seen the movie Book Club, about a reading group of women after midlife and how their lives change after they read a sexy novel?
- Did Stella’s ideas about how to structure a writing group appeal to you? What do you think of the author’s suggestion that a reading group can be a great place to try erotic writing? Is that something your reading group would consider?
- How is Aphrodite’s Pen different from other books you have read about writing? Is there a piece of advice from the book that really resonated with you?
- Did you have expectations about what you would learn from Aphrodite’s Pen? In what ways was the book similar to, or different than, you expected?
- How did this book affect you? Has it challenged your views about Women of a Certain Age? Do you think it would have affected you differently if you had read it when you were older, or younger? Or if you were a different gender? Has the book expanded your perception of yourself, your writing, or your age?
Stella Fosse is available to video conference with book groups discussing Aphrodite’s Pen. Please email graham[at]stellafosse[dot]com if your group would like to schedule a time.
Stella would really love to see you review Aphrodite’s Pen: The Power of Writing Erotica After Midlife on her Goodreads page if you feel so inclined. Thanks for taking the time to read Aphrodite’s Pen: The Power of Writing Erotica After Midlife.